In this post, we will try to bring attention to features of iPad which are not very well known.
1. Retina display (Resolutionary)
2. A5X ProcessorNew iPad is powered by an A5X processor (iPad uses A5 chip) which is a dual core processor with quad core graphics engine. This extra power enables the iPad to drive the retina display and make it very responsive for touch control and instant on when we open the magic cover. Apple engineers did not sacrifice the battery life for achieving this; it still supports 10 hours of battery life by employing a 42wh battery instead of 25wh found in iPad 2.
Along with iOS 5.1 Apple has ported iPhoto apps from MAC world to iPad. It is a good start for editing your photos and making albums without leaving iPad. Even iMovie is updated to take care of the new retina display.
4. LTE + Wi-FiNew iPad comes with 2 antennas and support for 12 radio bands. It supports 4G for AT&T model: 4G LTE (700, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz) and in addition CDMA EV DO Rev A for the Verizon model. So if we buy any of them it falls back to 3G in India with local SIM with the support of HSDPA 2100Mhz. LTE is more spectrum efficient compared to 3G and it supports higher speeds up to 72Mmps (21/42/ 72 mbps) theoretically but expect around 10mbps download and 5 mbps upload with a good signal. Expect LTE support in India by end of this year, Dec 2012
5. Bluetooth 4.0New iPad comes with Bluetooth 4.0 which consumes much less power compared to 2.0 and is supposed to be the first tablet with 4.0 support (A2DP stereo, Phone Book Access Profile PBAP, Object Push Profile OPP). It enables iPad to be paired with many medical devices to monitor continuously the parameters of interest without sacrificing battery life. For comparison a heart rate monitor with Bluetooth 4.0 support can run for a year without battery change. There is a rumor that Apple plans to introduce Airplay over Bluetooth 4.0 in addition to the current Wi-Fi. If it happens it will be good news for all of us since we see many cheaper devices with Airplay support and it drains much less battery compared to Airplay over Wi-Fi.
6. iPad as a personal hotspotNow like your iPhone, iPad also supports wireless tethering or act as personal wireless hot spot, sharing internet on iPad with 5 more devices. It can do this over Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or USB (wired tethering) and will be handy when you are travelling.
7.DictationNew iPad does not comes with Siri as many expected but it supports Dictation feature where you can talk to iPad while creating an article or writing a mail. Just tap the dictation microphone key and start talking to your iPad. Dictation also works with 3rd party application.
8. AirPlay MirroringNew iPad supports 1080P Airplay and mirroring over Wi-Fi. So with new Apple TV and iPad you can play your videos and games in your large screen TV wirelessly. It supports dual screen so you can do the control in iPad and use TV as the main display. You can use this feature for presentations too. If you desire you can use your iPhone as the remote too!
9. Size and weightNew iPad is the same size as iPad 2 but little thicker and heavier too thanks to its large 45WH internal battery.
|Parameter||iPad 3||iPad 2|