In today’s scenario, computers have become a very integral part of our day to day life. You can utilize computers to store tons of data in different types and number of files. However, to access this data from assorted files and analyze is it a tedious task.
But you can spare yourself from such a tedious task by simply using a popular relational database management, MySQL, a product of Sun Microsystems Inc. Also known as My Structured Query Language, MySQL is a popular open source database available as a freeware as well. It is written in programming languages, C and C++ and works on various platforms.
In MySQL, the data is stored in the form of structured tables making it easier to understand, query and analyze information. You can access, store, modify and process information varying from basic household expenses to data of huge corporate houses. In addition, you can store data from a single character to documents, graphic files etc.
Being an Open Source database system, you can use and even modify the MySQL software as per your requirements. You can study the source code and personalize the software. However, the source code is available under the GNU General Public License (GPL) that defines the limitations to which you can personalize the software. Alternatively, you can embed a MySQL code into a commercial application by purchasing a licensed version. You can access more information on the limitations of the source code from http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/.
In addition, you can host information stored in a MySQL database on a web server making it accessible anywhere in the world. By hosting the database over net, you can access, modify or analyze data at any time.
MySQL provides various products such as:
- MySQL Enterprise: is a comprehensive offering of production support, monitoring tools and database software that delivers optimal performance, reliability, security and uptime. It includes the MySQL Enterprise Server and MySQL Enterprise Monitor softwares, and MySQL Production Support.
- MySQL Cluster: is only true real-time database that combines the flexibility of a high availability relational database
- MySQL Embedded Server: is a full-featured, zero administration database that over 2000 ISVs, OEMs, and VARs rely on to make their products more competitive, bring them to market faster, and lower their COGs (cost of goods sold)
- MySQL Connectors: provides standards-based drivers for JDBC, ODBC, and .Net enabling developers to build database applications in their language of choice
- MySQL Workbench: enables a DBA, developer, or data architect to visually design, generate, and manage all types of databases including Web, OLTP, and data warehouse databases.